Monday, October 7, 2013

I Did It! Tower of Terror 10 Miler!

Photo Credit: RunDisney

I know I didn't post anything for 31 Days this weekend, but I was away from home. This weekend was my 10 miler race at Disney. Courtney and I got a hotel at Disney and I stayed there Friday and Saturday night. AJ and Drew kept working at our house, so I will have a weekend wrap up later today.

The Tower of Terror 10 Miler was one of my major goals for this year. I have been excited and nervous about this race since January. I am still not a runner and walked the entire course, but I finished.

Photo Credit: RunDisney

There were some really close calls on getting picked up. Disney was really enforcing the pick up times this year. At mile 8 Courtney and I were the last people they let through the check point, the "sweepers" were riding their bikes right behind us and cut off everyone behind us. We were a little panicked, but we made it through. 

We met some pretty neat people along the course. We walked the first 5k (3.1 miles) with this great lady, Susan. She had had foot surgery recently and was sticking to our pace. We encouraged he to make it to that 5k mark. I am sad she wasn't able to finish the race, but she did what she was comfortable with. We also finished the race with another lady that was a cast member. I wish I had caught her name, but she was a great companion to finish with. 

I am really thankful Courtney did the race with me. She kept me moving and wouldn't let me stop. There were a couple of points where I tried to get her to take off without me, but she wouldn't. I was so scared I was going to get us picked up, and I didn't want that for her. Thankfully, we didn't get picked up, and we both finished.


I finished the race. I got the medal and the shirt. I also got several blisters that were fairly uncomfortable. Though, I can't blame those just on the race. I get them in the same odd place just walking around theme parks normally. I am still sore today, a day later. I don't think I would have been as sore if I hadn't gone at the pace we did, but if I hadn't done that pace they would have picked us up.

I don't know that I will ever do another long run. I really enjoy 5ks and I want to get to the point that I am comfortable running them, but I don't know that I am a long distance runner. Who knows, maybe later I will change my mind?


1 comment:

Debra said...

Congratulations! I'm enjoying your series!