Sunday, October 13, 2013

31 Projects: Kitchen, Day 6






Welcome to Day 13 of 31 Projects: House to Home 2013!

We are so close to being done, but we aren't there yet. Oh, it is so close! I am ready to be done though. Today was a lot of detail work and it just killed my brain. I don't know why detail work is so draining, but it is.  Today was also the dirtiest day we have had. Yuck!

We had to sand down all concrete counters. We discovered that we had poured them too thick and too wet. They were not hardening up the way they should have been and they were lumpy. AJ broke out the belt sander and we went to sanding everything almost back down to the particle board. It made a huge mess. We had concrete dust everywhere in the house. 


Luckily, the new paint job on the cabinets held up well and dusted easily. It just took a lot of dusting to get them clean again. That is a really good sign that they will hold up to all the goop and gunk that happens in our kitchen on a regular basis. 


After we got everything sanded down it was time to reapply the concrete. Now that I knew what I was doing it went on much smoother, but much slower. It was more like frosting a really really big cake with a 1.5 inch spatula. It probably would have gone faster using a bigger one, but I had more control with the smaller one. I didn't want to have to sand everything again.

 
 We even got the new backsplash installed on the peninsula. It made a really good addition to the kitchen. I am hoping it works out well and keeps stuff from falling of the back of the now smaller counter tops. 


I also learned how to tape and mud dry wall. This was a new experience for me. I am hoping I get it right because we have a really large piece of wall to fix later. I am excited to learn how to do it. I know that sounds weird, but being able to do dry wall and not have weird seams or gaps makes me happy. This is the false wall we put in behind the stove top. I still need to figure out what I want to do as a backsplash there for grease and splatters, but I think once I get the mudding done I am just going to paint it for now.


While I was working on the details of the concrete AJ was working on cutting, staining, and making the backsplash on the coffee bar. It came out looking amazing. I am in love with the way it came out, it came out much better than I could have imagined. I am excited to get the hanging bars to put the coffee stuff in. I think I am also going to put a mini herb wall up on it to bring in some plants and green.


While stuff was drying today AJ knocked out a few other projects on our to do list. He got our gate fixed, a giant stump dug out of the ground so that we can work on building our patio, and finished fixing the dryer power for me. It will be nice to do laundry without having to plug the dryer in every time I need to use it. 

We still have a lot to get done, but AJ goes back to work tomorrow. So, it is down to Drew and I to get some things to done. So, things will probably move a little slower on finishing things. I am going to try to get the counters sealed so that we can cook dinner. I will be excited to have my kitchen useable again. We currently have all of our dishes under sheets on the table, and are eating off of paper plates. 

2 comments:

dragon-mouse said...

THe coffee bar looks amazing! Can't wait to see the whole thing

ashley said...

Wow! SOO looking forward to the official "after" pictures!!!