Thursday, October 10, 2013

31 Projects: Kitchen, Day 3


Welcome to Day 10 of 31 Projects: House to Home 2013!

Today should be nicknamed "The Day Paint Took Over". We painted all day. We got the primer done fairly quickly, and then waited for it to dry. I highly recommend the B-I-N Shellac Base Primer . It dried in about 45 minutes and was ready to go. It is alcohol based, so use it outside if possible.

The primer drying in the sun.

The primer looked really good initially. So, we moved on to trying to paint them with the new sprayer we had picked up. We diluted the paint with mineral spirits the way I thought we should. Well, thought and should were two separate things in this case. The paint was drippy and bumpy. We played with the air compressor settings for a while, but finally decided that wasn't the problem.

The runny icky paint.

We figured out the primer was causing us the headache. It had left a very fine grainy texture on the doors. Apparently, the alcohol in the paint had evaporated out of the can and had caused the bubbles. So, we nixed the idea of the sprayer, because with the paint being diluted with the wrong stuff (we should have used acetone instead of mineral spirits), and the grainy primer we were just over it.  We went to Home Depot and picked up some rollers. It was easier to make the call to just sand down the primer and roll on the paint.

AJ sanding the primer.
It took a little while, but we got all the primer sanded down on the doors, drawers, and upper cabinets. We do have to wait on the ones that we tried with the sprayer to dry so that we can sand them down again tomorrow and repaint them. Then we rolled on Rust-Oleum High Performance Protective Enamel. It is an oil based paint, and I am not used to those. I am use to latex paint being a little more forgiving during the painting process, but oil based isn't. We went with the oil based because it is slightly more durable and I want something that will hold up to cleaning and Drew. 


While the paint was drying we taped of the few glass front cabinets and primed them. They will get painted tomorrow because they have to be painted front and back. They also aren't the highest priority to get get back up on the wall. We did run out of space to store the door and cabinet fronts.


We got clever and made some make shift saw horses with patio chairs, storage buckets, and 1x4s. Not the most  stable of methods, but it worked really well for holding everything while they dried.

Uppers re-installed.

We did get one of the uppers re-installed tonight. We raised it to ceiling height and I think that is going to work out well. I am also loving the white cabinets. We also got all the vase cabinets cleaned and primed.  So, tomorrow we paint base cabinets and finish the doors. Woohoo!

The bases are primed and ready to paint.

No comments: