Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Celebrating AJ


July is a month of celebrations here in our house. The day we got back from Atlanta was AJ's birthday. There wasn't time to do anything special after driving all day, and he was a little bummed about that. I had planned on doing something spiffy for him this weekend, but after the sad look he gave me I changed my plans. Luckily, I had to go grocery shopping and was able to pick up a few things at the store on my way home without AJ or Drew.

I decided I was going to do a small sort of surprise party. He knew a couple of friends were coming over for  dinner. He didn't know that I was going to decorate or get him presents. That was a fun surprise. I got everything made and up with 11 minutes to spare before he got home. Woohoo!



Wal-Mart didn't have a whole lot of choices for boy party supplies. Thankfully, between the construction theme stuff they had and all of Drew's construction stuff I had enough to do a fair job decorating. I also found some cute things for the silhouette to cut out and add to everything.

Stop sign utensil holders

I used the printed table cloth, printed plates, and printed napkins from Wal-Mart. I made the stop signs to put the utensils into as a holder. We also used the mason jars from Drew's party as drinking glasses. I made bacon and bleu cheese burgers for dinner, AJ's request. I also made a gluten-free pineapple upside down cake. Oh so yummy!


Wal-Mart had crepe paper streamers that were black and yellow construction ones. I loved them and I am glad I got two rolls of it. I cut out the dump trucks on the silhouette and borrowed Drew's hard hats and dump truck.  

Present table

Birthday banner and AJ's dump truck.



Nothing was safe from getting construction decoration on it. It was a really simple theme, but I used it everywhere. I like the way the shelf and banner came out. The little dump truck is AJ's dump truck from when he was about Drew's age. That little truck has been all over the world. It is fun getting to use it in decorating for his birthday. 


I even made AJ a birthday card. He didn't get a lot in the way of presents, but I think he is ok with what he got. Joy and Jason even brought him and apple pie for the night of his birthday, but since that was already eaten I didn't put it on the present table. I think the card came out really cute.

I really enjoyed celebrating AJ's birthday and getting to deck the house out for him. It wasn't what I had planned to do, but it came out great. Drew was a big helper all day. He helped me get the house cleaned and even helped vacuum. We were not hosting a large party, but I still wanted AJ to know he was special and I got the house "party ready".

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AJ!

4 comments:

ashley said...

Wow you did a great job for being last minute!!!!

ashley said...

You did a great job, period. I'm especially impressed since it was last minute. ;-)

Molly said...

Thanks! I really enjoyed doing it.

Andy said...

I am so sorry we missed it. We thought about him and even talked with uncle Mark and Aunt Kim about his birthday. The decorations looked fabulous !! I have always admired your creativity and this is an example of what you can do with a couple of things on the 'spur of the moment".