Monday, January 28, 2013

What Does Paleo Food Look Like?

I got a heads up the other day that I haven't really explained what eating like a caveman looks like.

Well, for me it means no sugar, no processed foods, no fake food, no soy, no chemicals, and grains of any sort. This has been hard, but not for the reason I thought it would be. I haven't craved the sweets, soda, or breads/pasta I thought I would. The hard part has been the food prep and lack of "quick" foods.

For the most part there is almost both acceptable in fast food restaurants, snacks are limited to fruit and nuts, and every meal is from scratch right now. Under normal circumstances this wouldn't be a problem, but I have a toddler who wants to be doing stuff with mom and me cooking all day is not his idea of fun. I think I have spent more time recently saying, "not now, I am cooking" than I have in my entire life. Also, I miss being able to grab a quick meal out and about. It is hard to always remember to pack my lunch because we don't always have leftovers right now.

I have "cheated" a few times, but not in an overly go crazy binge sort of way. Once was for the pizza after the 5k and the other was I got an Arby's roast beef sandwich. It was a necessary evil of what all was going on that night. Yes, I ate the bun but it wasn't that great. It also showed me I didn't miss it as much as I thought.

So, what do our meals look like of we can't eat any of that stuff? Yummy and good. There is a lot more color to our meals than before and a lot of variety, thanks to Emeals.



Breakfast - bacon, eggs, strawberries, and apple slices

Dinner - Southwest Chicken Salad with Avocado

Slow Roasted Turkey Breast with Carrot Apple Salad
Grilled Pork Chops and Orange and Pomegranete Salsa with Broccoli

Honey Mustard Chicken with Pacific Blend Vegetables

Smoked Salmon Casserole  and Broccoli

Walnut Coated Flounder with Sauteed Zucchini and Broccoli Slaw
Quiche Lorraine with Pear Spinach Salad and Tomato Soup



So, as you can see in the pictures we are having a lot of yummy meals. We have had 3.5 weeks of these meals and I am really am loving them. They have gotten me to try things that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. We have also found a couple of recipes that will go into our permanent rotation. I have never had AJ request meals before, but we have had a couple that he has fallen in love with, namely a taco burger with guacamole on lettuce wraps.

If you want to learn more about the benefits and foods of Paleo eating I would really recommend checking out Mark's Daily Apple. His site is what I found initially and got me thinking on our food journey. It has a lot of really good information.

No comments: