Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 Goals


Photo Credit

It is time again for my yearly goals list. It is a little late, but I have started actually working towards the goals, and today is the first day Drew has napped at the house. If you are wondering why I set goals and not resolutions, here is a recap:

Merriam-webster defines a resolution as : a formal expression of opinion, will, or intent voted by an official body or assembled group.  A goal is : the end toward which effort is directed

I am not good with resolutions.  I never stick to them because there never seems to be an end, and going by the definition it is just an expression of opinion. I like the idea of goals.  I am stating the end point where I want to be. - Read more here.

I am trying out something new this year and only setting 12 goals. I want to have a goal for each month, because I keep reading it takes 30 days to make a habit and I want habits that are going to stick. The game plan is to add a new habit each month and to continue the ones from previous months. It seems like a good idea, but the problem I am having with this is I have multiple habits I want to start cultivating all at the same time. The list is in sort of order, but not necessarily:

01. Lose Weight, Gain Strength
02. Bible Reading
03. Establish Housekeeping Routines
04. Start Learning German
05. Be a Better Mom to Drew
06. Be a Better Wife to AJ
07. Get Our Budget on Track
08. Get Messy with Life
09. Run The Tower of Terror 10 Miler Race
10. 31 Projects in 31 Days
11. Practice Real Hospitality
12. Read 12 Books This Year

01. Lose Weight, Gain Strength
I really want to lose weight, and I need to do so, too. I have made this commitment and I am already working towards it. I have made the switch to a Paleo lifestyle to help with this.

02. Bible Reading
I need to read more. I have already started a devotional plan through YouVersion. I am enjoying getting it on my phone everyday. I am also hoping this reading time will help me grow in my relationships with God, my family, and my friends.

03. Establish Housekeeping Routines
 I feel like this is something I really struggle with. This new house is different and cleaning with a toddler is very different than cleaning without kids or with a baby. I want to learn to do a little bit every day, and not be overwhelemed with cleaning. I want to have a routine for getting dinner on the table every day, having the dishes washed by bedtime, and the house functionally clean so people can stop by any time. I am making progress towards these already. We are using Emeals for meal planning (they have a Paleo plan!) and loving the meals.

04. Start Learning German
I am throwing in the towel on Spanish. I can't speak it even after studying it for years. I am switching to trying to learn German. AJ turned me on to a great online program called DuoLingo. I want to have at least a basic grasp of the language by the end of the year. I plan on starting this either in February or March.

05. Be a Better Mom to Drew
I want to start being the mom that Drew thinks I am. This means playing with him more and tuning into what he needs and not just what I want. This means I need to cut back my screen time and give him more face time. He wants my attention and I need to give it more. We are in toddlerhood and this has potential to be a really rough time, but I want to minimize that as much as possible. I want to work on potty training and hopefully be really close to done with it near his second birthday. My other goal with Drew is to start some homeschooling things with him. Nothing to formal, but something that builds that into our daily routine.

06. Be a Better Wife to AJ
I want to be a better wife to AJ. I am to quick to get frustrated with him, even when it isn't his fault. I want to love him the way he needs to be loved, speak his love language, and support and encourage him. Again, I need to give up screen time for face time. I need to talk to him and listen to him. More cuddling and less computer time.

07. Get Our Budget on Track
Between buying the house, updating the house, and the Mayan Apocalypse that hit our house our budget has been a little wonky. I want to get our savings back to where we had them. I want to get a handle on our spending. Thankfully, we have the ability to turn these negatives around this year, we just need to change our habits. We are still on the Dave Ramsey plan, using Mint, and You Need A Budget to try and get all this back on track.

08. Get Messy with Life
This is a hard one to explain. I want to really dig into my relationships with people. I don't want to be a surface level friend to the people who are also investing their time into my life. It is a messy process, but one that I want and need in my life. I also want to get messy with my family, I want to dig deeper with the family outside of our house. I also want to physically get messy with AJ and Drew. With them it plays hand in hand with being a better wife and mom.

This is technically part of my lose weight, gain strength item, but it is its' own goal because it is a big one. I have been working on the Couch to 5k program, but by September I want to be able to run the 10 mile race Disney has. This is a huge goal considering my weight, my non-athleticism, and my health issues, but I am going to do it. (I am assuming it isn't sold out in January, but that they just haven't updated the site for this years race)

10. 31 Projects in 31 Days
This was a lot of fun last year. I want to repeat it in October again, hopefully blogging all 30 days this time. Thankfully, I don't have to tackle this goal until October.

11. Practice Real Hospitality
I want to grow my hospitality this year. I want to be able to have people over to our house for dinner on a regular basis. I don't mean just for parties, but just sharing a meal and getting to know the people in our lives. We have some awesome people in our life and I don't feel like we really know them. At the blog conference I went to the opening speaker, Jenny from Southern Savers, talked about how they have a different family from church over every week for dinner. I was inspired. I am not sure we are to that point, but I want to get there.

12. Read 12 Books This Year
I want to read at least this many this year. It is hard to get reading time in right now, but this is just a phase and it will get better. Luckily, I have a Kindle and that really helps me get get more books in. I just needed a goal to encourage me to read more.
These all seem like doable goals this year. I am excited about the possibilities this year holds and excited to see where it leads me and my family. What are some of your goals for this year? Do you have a plan to accomplish them? 


No comments: