Monday, October 8, 2012

31 Projects: #6 - Creating Charlie Brown


Today's project was making Drew's Halloween costume. Drew is going to be Charlie Brown. I made the shirt for the costume because they don't make Charlie Brown costumes for people as tiny as Drew. I did find a 2T one, but I think that is going to be to big on him.

The first problem I ran into was that they don't have blank yellow t-shirts in the 12M size. I could not find one anywhere, even Hobby Lobby didn't have yellow ones in this size. So, I bought a 4T/5T size and cut it down. I used one of Drew's normal shirts to see how long to cut it.


I then used hem tape to finish the bottom. I tried to sew it, but the yellow thread I had was the wrong yellow. I probably could have gotten away without finishing the bottom, but I did want a nice clean edge.



 Next, it was time to create the zig-zag pattern that goes on the shirt. This was a pain to figure out. I finally cut a strip of contact paper and used a post-it note on the diagonal. Then, I cut it out and pressed it on to the shirt.



I put four paper towels folded up inside the shirt. I then used black fabric paint and edged the contact paper. I did a very fine line around the contact paper and then pulled up the contact paper.



I switched from a small fine tip brush to a thick fill in brush. It took a while to paint the whole shirt. I did the front and let it dry, then flipped it over and did the back. When the back was done I did the sides to try to line up the pattern over the seams of the shirt.


It looks a little wonky in the picture, but in person it looks great. I am excited to see it on Drew. We have a photo shoot tomorrow for him. I think it is going to be great! I will post pictures when we get them.

1 comment:

ashley said...

Oh my gosh!!! He is going to make an AWESOME Charlie Brown!!!!