Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 Projects: #3 - Freezer and Pantry Clean Up With Some Bulk Cooking


Today's project wasn't anything big. Honestly, most people wouldn't even notice what was done, but it makes a very big difference to me. I cleaned out the freezer and the pantry.  This is a big issue because I am used to having a chest freezer and an upright freezer, but at the moment they are still at my in-law's house. I have about a 1/10th of the space I am used to in the freezer. I can't really bulk cook or store food in this little freezer. I am doing the best I can with the space, but it was time to clean it out and organize what bulk food we do have.


 We have 8lbs of grass fed ground beef, 4 gallons of homemade chicken broth, 2 lbs of bacon, 2 bags of regular broccoli, 3 bags of steam in bag broccoli (apparently I have a fear we are going to run out of broccoli), and smoothie mixes.


This doesn't look that organized, but it is much better than it was. I realized I should have taken before pictures of everything, but I didn't think about it today. This is mostly Drew type food - chicken nuggets, pizza bites, frozen veggies he will eat, and tater tots.


The pantry needed the most work. We have a plan of re-vamping the pantry at a later date by adding doors to it  and changing up the shelves. I don't know if we will get to that this month.  Everything was in chaos here. I have to work to keep things that won't break or make a huge mess if the spill on the lowest shelf. Drew can reach it and I frequently find canned beans around our house. The rolling cart has boxed food like stuffing and mac and cheese in it. He occasionally plays with those, but keeping the cart backwards makes it an "out of sight out of mind" thing. I am not sure what to do about surplus items right now. Currently, they share the top shelf with the nuts and snack baskets. I want a shelf up above that one to put storage on.



Here is the real reason I needed to clean the freezer! I made pumpkin spice baked oatmeal muffins. I saw these pop up on my pinterest this morning. They looked amazingly good, and we haven't had baked oatmeal since we moved. This is one of my favorite breakfast foods (or snacks for that matter) that I learned about from AJ's family. It is practically the only way I will eat oatmeal.

My next batch will be mini muffins. They are a little bigger than I need them. I need something that will fit into a breakfast bento for Drew and I. I also am making mini pumpkin pancakes. I really needed room for these yummies!

4 comments:

ashley said...

Yum! I love, love, love baked oatmeal! I should try those!

Steve and Jenny Valentine said...

Those muffins look so yummy!

Molly said...

The muffins are VERY yum! If I hadn't frozen them already I don't think they would last until the weekend.

Joy said...

Freezer looks great. Can't wait to try a muffin :)