Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Puffins


I have been looking for some good mini muffin recipes for several upcoming trips we have planned. I like having snacks in the car that aren't always junk food. I have also been hunting some breakfast ideas for Drew that aren't totally messy or sliced cheese (I think this kid could eat a pack of sliced cheese in about two days). 

I got the basic recipe for these from Bakerella. Though, I doubled it and made half with chocolate chips and the other half just pumpkin spice.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 can of pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips for putting on the tops
    • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices and sugar in a medium bowl. Sift together with a wire whisk.
    • In another bowl, stir buttermilk, eggs, maple syrup, pumpkin puree and melted butter until just combined.
    • Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.
    • Reserve a chips to sprinkle on the tops.
    • Bake for 8-9 minutes.
Personally, I like the chocolate chip ones just a wee bit better. The plain ones aren't sweet at all, but with just 3 chocolate chips on the top of the others they have just a tiny bit of sweet. They weren't hard to make or time consuming (or at least not to bad with a toddler helping at every step). 


Drew thought the muffins were a hit. I only gave him the plain ones but he ate four in a row and was going back for more before I finally got his lunch made. I am glad to know at least for the moment he really likes them. Now, I am off to try my hand at some apple spice muffins. I am going to use Once A Month Mom's recipe for Mini Banana Pancake Muffins for the Apple Spice ones, except with apples. I am excited to see how they turn out. I am loving Fall foods being here. I am such a Fall baby!

No comments: