Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Woodland Birthday Celebration - Drew's First Birthday


Saturday we celebrated Drew's birthday.  It was a week after his actual birthday, but this way we got to have family come in from out of town. Also, it gave us an extra week to be in the house to unpack and prep for the party. This was really helpful since we lost a week to the hospital adventure two weeks ago.

I had so much fun making everything for the party. I have some wonderful friends who also pitched in and helped bunches with setting up and baking. I loved throwing this party. It was so much fun to do and everything came out so well.

A while back I had found this wonderful theme floating around on pintrest of sly fox. Luckily, the graphic was free on A Subtle Revelry's site. It was adorable and fit with Drew's personality. I knew I wanted something a bit different for his party and this was it.


So, in true fashion I went a little crazy with the theme.  There are a lot of pictures because some people couldn't make it to the party and I want them to be able to see all the details.

Front door wreath
When guest first got here they were greeted by a little fox. This wreath was the easiest thing ever to make. It is a foam core wrapped in burlap and then the decorations are just pinned in so I can keep the wreath and change it as needed.
Food table

I had a blast picking out the food for the party. Since it wasn't really a meal party I went with a lot of finger foods. There was Tomato Soup Shooters with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. I used Campbell's Zesty Tomato Soup and it was wonderful. The only thing I would change is instead of triangles for the sandwiches I would have cut them into strips. It would have made them easier to dip into the soup.

Tomato Soup Shooters

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Carrot and Celery Trees which were shooter cups filled with ranch or blue cheese dressing and baby carrots and celery sticks put into them. I love this because people can chose what dressing they want and there isn't a mess of dipping dressing out of a bowl.

Carrot and Celery Cups

Fruit Skewers were one of my favorite ideas I found on Pintrest. They were really easy to make and they were also a real hit, too.

Fruit Skewers

These Tomato Mushrooms were a bit of work, but they were so cute when I found the idea. I cut grape tomatoes in half. Then cut mozzarella string cheese into fourths, dipped them into cream cheese, and then shoved the cream cheese into the tomatoes. They were so cute!

Tomato Mushrooms


Sweets Table
We made Acorn Cookies! They were awesome!!! It was Hershey's Kisses glued to 100 calorie pack Sandies cookies with brown icing. They were really easy to make and looked great. There was some debate if they were "buckeyes" or "acorns", but in the end it didn't matter because they were yummy.


Acorn Cookies
 

Joy made the cupcakes and smash cake for the party. They were incredibly yummy! I am so thankful she did this for us because I can't bake to save my life. This was such a blessing or else we might not have had any cake for the party.

Cupcakes with a woodland friend.

Joy also made Drew's smash cake. It was adorable. I sent her the file of the sly fox. I can't believe she did this by hand. I am amazed at her talentedness! She also made the cake with egg substitute for Drew. Which adds a layer of difficulty to baking because the substitute doesn't work exactly like eggs and tends to make things denser. The cake came out great though (yes, I tasted it) and Drew loved it.

Drew's Smash Cake

I made plasticware containers to fit the theme, too. This was one of those 5 minutes before the party I realized I didn't have anywhere to put the forks and spoons projects. So, I covered two tin cans with some of the extra burlap and hemp rope. They worked great and I will keep these to add to our party supplies.


For party favors we made s'mores bags. I really like party favors that are food. I feel like it is a fun thank you, and it doesn't add to clutter in someone's house.  Michael's has these great coffee bags in the party supply section and they were the perfect size to hold three s'mores per person. AJ found these JUMBO marshmallows called "Roasters" at Wal-Mart so we needed bigger bags. We put three marshmallows, three sets of graham crackers, and one Hershey's bar in each bag. Then we printed labels and put them on the front. It was a pretty quick project.  I think they were a hit because most people took their bag.


I decided that instead of a typical birthday shirt that has a one on it I would make Drew a shirt he could wear for a while, but it would still be his birthday shirt. Of course, I forgot to do this until about an hour before the party (anyone else noticing a theme here of last minute prep?). I painted the sly fox on to a brown shirt I got from Hobby Lobby. They are the only place I can find baby/ kid's shirts and onesies that are blank and in color. I would have preferred a hunter green shirt, but brown was all they had.  Also, Martha Stewart makes copper paint! I was thrilled when I found this paint and realized it would still stand out against the brown shirt.


One of the projects that has been a year in the making was the weekly photo project. I know that some people on Facebook have seen most of these, but it was the first time others had seen any of the pictures. We printed them out and hung the prints on the wall in our new eat-in area. It was so much fun to see all of them together, even though I forgot to print the last two pictures. I love this project and I am so glad we stuck to it even when it was a pain to do it.

The Weekly Picture Wall.

 


I didn't get that many pictures from the party of everyone who was here, but I was enjoying the party. Next year we will make sure to have a set spot to get everyone's pictures. I did manage to get a couple of cute ones of Drew and the smash cake. He didn't dive into it the way we kind of hoped he would. But, we have been working with him to keep from making a huge mess of food, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it or the fact that there were 30 people watching him eat? 

Enjoying his smash cake.

All in all it was a great party. Things flowed really smoothly and I think every one had a good time. Drew had a great time. He loved being the center of attention and having so many people to play with in one place. He is such a social little thing already. I am so thankful to everyone who made it to the party. It was a lot of fun to celebrate such a special little boy.


1 comment:

dragon-mouse said...

WIsh we could have come (pesky on-call), it turned out great! I love the fox.