Saturday, May 12, 2012

Drew's Hospital Adventure - 2012 part 6

Finally home.
Thursday night was far from the uneventful night we were hoping for.  AJ and I got food poisoning and Drew caught an upper respiratory virus.  So between the vomiting and coughing we had a very very rough night.

Friday morning they did the blood work on Drew.  They took a lot of blood.  They also did a femoral artery puncture.  This made it go much faster than had they taken the blood from his arm.  AJ said it only took about 30 seconds to get all they needed.

Once that was done we were back to waiting.  They finally told us the results of the bone scan.  From that it looks like Drew has "advanced" bone development.  They were concerned that because he was so small he might have delayed development, but that isn't the case.  I have no clue what advanced development means in this area.

At about noon they decided they were going to release us.  Yay!  But the nurse wouldn't let AJ or I drive home since we were both REALLY sick at this point.  She kept telling us we probably should go down to the Emergency Room.  She also thought I was joking when I said I would rather die than do that.  Luckily, Courtney came to get us and brought us home.  I got some anti-nausea meds in me and went to sleep while AJ and Drew slept on the couch.  Thus, the delay in updates (I am sorry!) 

My own car!
Today we are all a little better.  Drew still has the most energy of us all, but we are recovering from this adventure.  We did find him his own version of the car from the hospital and picked it up this morning.  I think that solved all his problems of being in the hospital.  AJ and I are going to take longer to recover from everything.

We have to wait four weeks to get all the results from the blood work.  We have follow up appointments with the neurologist in two weeks and the endocrinologist in four weeks.  That seems like a long time.  I wish we had some more solid answers, but at least they have ruled out the worst case options right now.  It doesn't look like seizures for the passing out and his brain is growing right.

We are all so very thankful for everyone who was praying and sending us good vibes!  Thank you for all the text, calls, and encouraging words.  We really only stayed sane because of that and God's grace.  We love you all and thank you for everything!!!

3 comments:

Beth Kirby said...

Molly,

I'm so glad you're home and hope that either the blood tests reveal something definitive or that the breath-holding never happens again!
We were in Orlando yesterday and I had a couple hours to kill so tried to text you to see if you were close by for a quick visit, but apparently you had gone home so that's great! Hope you and AJ feel better soon! The car is very cute.

Ms. Cherrie said...

Molly, I have been thinking a lot about you lately. I remember what it's like having a sick little one and not knowing what it's wrong. As a parent that it's the worse feeling in the world. Hang in there I am praying that this is a growing phase and that all is well with your little man. Love to you all!

Ms. Cherrie said...

Molly, I have been thinking a lot about you lately. I remember what it's like having a sick little one and not knowing what it's wrong. As a parent that it's the worse feeling in the world. Hang in there I am praying that this is a growing phase and that all is well with your little man. Love to you all!