Thursday, May 10, 2012

Drew's Hospital Adventure - 2012 Mom's Thoughts

Drew is still in recovery from the MRI and waking up.  They told us to come back to the room and wait on him.  This gave us a chance to get lunch and AJ is hanging out in the shower.  He is emotionally recovering in there, and I am taking this chance to process some things in writing.

- It is hard being a mom and needing to be strong.  One nurse said she would be wailing to when Drew was screaming getting something done.  The problem with that is, that it isn't productive and just makes him scared.  So, even though I am emotionally raw and scared I can't stop and break down yet.  It will come when the time is right.  Probably when we get home and I have some quiet time I will cry like a baby.

- I am scared that all of this has been in vain.  Though I just had a mom friend who survived triplets in the NICU tell me, "at least he won't remember it."  I keep hoping that is true. 

- Drew has cried more today than he ever has in his life.  Someone asked if he was a fussy baby, and I got grumpy.  Fussing in the hospital is not a fair sign of temperament, especially after fasting for 12 hours.

- I am happy that Drew still has smiles left in him.

- I am thankful to all the wonderful people here.  They have such amazing programs to keep kids (and their parents) occupied.  Everyone has been nice and helpful and supportive of our family and the choices we make.

- I realize how weak I am by myself.  I am thankful for the outpouring of love from friends and family.  This has been rough and the text, comments, calls, and visits have really helped.

- I am so thankful that normally Drew is really healthy.  There have been some sick little people here, and I don't know how their families do it. Well, I do.  They just keep going because there isn't any other option.

- I am thankful my God is one of healing, love, and power.  I am also thankful He has made people smarter than me and they can help sick people. 

- We promised Drew anything he wants when he gets home.  I am glad he isn't old enough to want anything more than grass, dirt, sunshine, and snuggles.

- At this point in all of this I need - a hug, a hot shower, and a really big margarita or chocolate cake.


3 comments:

Joanna B said...

I don't know how you're holding up. I freak out in hospitals, and I don't know what I'd do if it was my little guy being poked and prodded. I pray you'll get some answers!

ashley said...

Praying for you!!!!

Molly said...

Joanna - Through God's grace only.

Thank you both for all the prayers!