Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baby Prep - Outfits for the Bug

When we found out we were having a little boy I was a tiny bit sad because it seemed at the time that all the cute clothes were for little girls (I have since gotten over this sadness). Which, made me go on a crazy hunt for some fun and cute baby boy things.  I finally found some and I am totally in love with all the cute little boy onesies out there with ties on them. 


Isn't that just cute and fairly nerdy?  When I showed it to AJ he fell in love.  Then I showed him how much people were charging for said cuteness on etsy.  That caused some grumbling all around.  Which meant it was time to figure out how to make them, that way we could have a steady supply as Bug grows out of previous sizes.

I found a good tutorial on Crap I've Made's blog.  I had to do some tweaking from the pattern she has up because it was too big to fit onto a newborn onesie.  So away I went at hacking it down to size and then followed the rest of her tutorial.  The best part was she showed how to sew the tie on so that there was no double stitching over any of the parts.

Here is what I came up with:


It came out really cute and really tiny.  Then I decided to get a little more creative and try the onesies I had seen with the suspenders on them (because I love boys wearing suspenders - AJ included).


I am really happy with this one!  I am tempted to try to make a little pair of pants to go with it, but I don't trust my skills at such a project yet.  I figure I can put him in the little newborn jeans we have and it will be adorable.  I think this one might be our coming home outfit, but that depends on if I get one of my last sewing projects done...

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Great job! That would make an awesome coming-home outfit. My sister got us one of the tie shirts off Etsy, and it's pretty cute. This is one of his few cute shirts - we're on our fourth clothing size so far, and I've managed to *not* got out shopping for cute outfits- we're buried in hand-me-downs!

Molly said...

He is adorable!!!! About 90-95% of Bug's wardrobe is hand-me downs or things bought at baby consignment shops. Going to the consignment shops is what made me realize there are some really cute things out there (they just aren't all in the big mega stores).

I am very thankful for hand-me downs, because we really shouldn't have to buy a whole lot of clothes until Bug starts hitting the 3T phase (THANKS JENN and BETH!!!) and then I am hoping to find stuff at garage sales and such.

ashley @ twentysixcats said...

I will be the odd one out who says that I was really excited to be able to buy Savannah clothes! I appreciated all the gifts (which lasted me about to 9 months), but now I can buy those clothes I love too. :-) Since she's the first grandbaby on both sides and pretty much all my friends are still in the midst of having kids, we have only gotten a couple of hand-me-downs. (And most of those I could tell why they were gotten rid of. ;-) Yeah they went into my giveaway pile too. Some clothes are just not made right!)

That said, I wanted to just mention that Gerber onesies run a size small, especially when the baby is in cloth diapers. So don't make the mistake I made and pack it away because the label read "3-6 mos" only to pull it out and realize that it's too small! I actually refuse to buy Gerber onesies now. :-)

dragon-mouse said...

Speaking of 3T sizes, Luke just outgrew (read: I took it away when he wasn't looking because it was hitting the silly-small range) the AT-AT shirt you guys got him. Want it back? :)

(Luke just saw the onesie with the suspenders and thinks its very cute. You've got the preschooler vote of approval, so it must be good.)

Joanna said...

Ashley - "I will be the odd one out who says that I was really excited to be able to buy Savannah clothes!" That's because you have a girl ;-) The fun-to-buy options are more limited with boys, IMO.

ashley @ twentysixcats said...

Joanna - Later I was thinking about it, and wondering if that was the case. ;-) (girl vs. boy) I think toddler girls' dresses are my favorite! Too cute!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Cute cute cute cute!!! And I get it. I said all along I didn't care if it's a boy or a girl, but I felt a little sad when the OB said it's a boy. I've had so much fun buying/making girly things for my nieces, and I guess I was envisioning doing that with my own little girl. But I'll get over it, and I'm sure there will be lots of cute things to make/do/buy for my boy!

Molly said...

I am starting to be really fond of overalls and cute boy outfits, though I still love the cute frilly dresses. Maybe one day we will have that option.

Anne Marie: I have lots of craft projects for boys stashed away, so if you need some ideas let me know. I scoured etsy and random sites for ideas, and it really helped my feelings about boy cuteness (but keeping it masculine).