Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream...


 "To sleep, perchance to dream-ay, there's the rub." - Hamlet (III, i, 65-68)

Sleep has been a lacking commodity in my world for the last week or so.  I have been trying really hard to get sleep, but it hasn't wanted to happen.  The joint pain has been really bad and I just can't fall asleep.  I wish I could blame it on Bug, but honestly it isn't really a baby problem. He isn't that wiggly at night, which I am thankful for because it means that when I do fall asleep I am not be awoken by kicks in the stomach or lungs.

I have never been a great sleeper, but this last week has been horrible!  The OB gave me something to try to help me sleep and it has about a 50/50 chance of working, the same as Tylenol PM.  So, I have been alternating which one I try at night.  Some nights they help me fall asleep, but I never stay asleep longer than three hours.  The time change yesterday didn't help anything either!  It means that my body is protesting me trying to go to bed at a "normal" hour.  Going to bed when my body says to has lead to me staying in bed way later than I mentally desire.

The last couple of days I have had a hard time dragging myself out of bed by 11:00 AM.  This isn't normal for me at all, and it is really bugging me.  The really bad part is that I am not sleeping in that late, I am just laying there.  I have found that my joints don't hurt as bad in the morning when I am laying in bed, but as soon as I get up and start moving around on them they start getting painful again.  I enjoy those couple of hours of a mild "twilight" state that things aren't hurting yet.

I haven't been able to get any good naps in either. I just kind of drift, or if I do fall asleep it has been for really short periods of time.  I am used to sleeping for about 90 minutes in a nap time and not waking up until the full time is over.  Lately, I have been sleeping for about 15 minutes and waking up and then fighting to go back to sleep.  I know most people consider 15 minutes a nap, but sleeping for that short of time makes me really groggy and grouchy.  I need a full sleep cycle to reset myself.  

I know I need to be getting all the sleep and rest that I can before Bug makes his way into the world, but it hasn't been an easy task lately.  I have been really jealous of AJ's ability to just crash and be out like a light.  He makes it look so easy.  He has been really understanding of the lack of sleep though, and has put up with me puttering around the bedroom at all hours of the night.  Last night I was getting back in bed about the time his alarm was going off, and it was one of the only times he has sort of woken up.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get some good sleep?  Keep in mind I have already tried all the standard options - calming down, no tv, reading a dull book, no caffeine, calming music, a snack... 

No comments: