Monday, February 14, 2011

The Bible in 90 Days Challenge - Week 6 - Oh, the Poetry


This picture really struck me as I was looking for something to sum up this week's readings.  It is at the Western Wall in Jerusalem and he is reading the Psalms.  I think it struck a chord with all that is going on in the world, God is in and above it all.  In some weird way his picture reminds me of how many people are doing the same thing all over the world.  That as I am struggling to get through Job and the Psalms, there are other people reading the same things and fighting their own fights with these books.

I have such a hard time reading poetry.  It isn't something I enjoy on any level, and I really try not to do it often.  I think this week has been a real struggle for me because of that.  To get through Job I switch from using my Kindle version of the ESV to Bible Gateway's NLT.  I hate that I had to do that, but I knew if I didn't cut myself that slack then I was much more likely to just give up or just skip it.  Neither is a legitimate option, but I wrestled with both for a few days before I made the switch.  

Then came the Psalms.  Oh, good grief!  150!  Really!!!  I questioned if I was going to make it through them.  Then I decided that I just couldn't make it through them.  So, since we went out of town this weekend, I let myself not be as bothered with them.  I was willfully deciding I didn't want to read the Psalms.  Well, that didn't work out so great for me.  Because I decided I was going to make it through them, but now I was behind - 80 Psalms behind.  

I decided to take small chunks at a time.  It helped, some.  But, as I read more of them I started hearing the lyrics to all kinds of songs in them.  I would read a verse and a song would pop into my head.  That is when it started to become more enjoyable.  I started reading them looking for lyrics to songs I knew.  That helped a bunch more.  I even found the passage that my priest in Gainesville says before every sermon, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." - Psalm 19:14  That was a neat thing to find for me!

I am still technically behind as of right now because I need to read today's Psalms, but I have already spent some time playing catch up this morning.  I am going to do another chunk when I stop for lunch and then later this afternoon.  I just really wanted to get this post done and link up so that I wouldn't forget or Mom's Toolbox close the posting before I got to it.  Getting behind isn't something I am proud of, but I know I do it to myself by not sticking with the commitment I made.  I am very thankful that there is grace in all of this and I do have the ability to catch back up.  I encourage anyone reading along to have faith and stick to this journey!

2 comments:

ashley @ twentysixcats said...

I'm sorry you've had a hard time getting through Job and Psalms. :-( I just started Deuteronomy. I love the Psalms, but I've never sat down and read them all the way through, so I might feel the way about them. Also, you shouldn't feel guilty for switching to the NLT! Now if you were switching to a children's Bible for the Psalms, maybe feel guilty about that. ;-) j/k

Molly said...

I seriously thought about trying to find a picture book for the Psalms. They are hard to read if you are doing 45ish a day, which is what they are breaking down to right now. Though, I could probably sum them up with very few pictures - a spear/ battle scene, a heart (broken and happy), someone crying, and someone praising God. Maybe I should make an illustrated book of Psalms :D