Thursday, January 13, 2011

While The Rest Of The World Is In Ice...

Our backyard

This year "Old Man Winter" has hit hard.  It seems like everywhere (but Florida) is covered in ice and snow.  Even places like Atlanta are getting hit really hard.  My sister-in-law lives in Atlanta and shared these pictures with me of what things are looking like up there.



Snow! Around midnight

 This is from Sunday night when the first of the snow started falling. 

I will admit that this scene looks amazingly beautiful and tranquil.  I love seeing pictures like this, but I also know it is a visual representation of cold and wet.  Something that my native Floridian self can't handle.


The street by our house is all ice

This is the street that runs in front of their house.  It is covered with snow and then a layer of ice on top.

This picture on the other hand totally scares the begeezes out of me!  I can't fathom having that outside my house.  That looks way too cold and dangerous!  Ashley said she has watched cars spin out on the ice trying to get up this hill.  I can't fathom that.

Florida on the other hand is getting off fairly mildly.  We have had colder weather than normal (which is hard enough to deal with - our citrus crops are not happy this year), but nothing that makes people run to the stores to stock up for.  Actually, I have had the doors and windows open at the house the last three days and for the most part we have had temperatures in the 70's.  

With the comparably warmer weather we have been having a lot of bird movement in our backyard.  This probably means we need to be a little more diligent in putting out birdseed.  We have had a lot of little sparrows today.

I wish these little guys weren't so hard to capture.  There are a lot of them but they are small and blend in with the grass.


This little guy was hard to catch, but so pretty.  I have no clue what he is, but he was all over the yard.


What are things like where you are at?  Are you snowed in or just wishing for snow?  I know a few people down here who are wishing it would get cold enough to snow here, but I will say I am not one of those people.

4 comments:

StasiaBirdKnits said...

The bird on the telephone wire is an Eastern Bluebird.

StasiaBirdKnits said...

Had to look up first birds. They were Palm Warblers.

Molly said...

Stasia - Thanks so much for letting me know what they were! I love the little Palm Warblers because they are so cute! Also, knowing the one on the wire is a bluebird makes so much sense as to why he was so singy. I love his coloring!!!

AL said...

Hi Molly! Thanks for saying HI on my blog last week :-)

Florida sounds WONDERFUL right now!! We live in IL and I'm already tired of winter! Enjoy your 70 degree weather.