Monday, November 1, 2010

How I Spent My Halloween

This last weekend was ROUGH!  I thought I was having a bout of stomach flu on top of the morning sickness.  I just didn't feel good and I was vomiting more than normal.  Saturday, AJ had to work most of the day and I slept off and on all day.  Sunday, AJ had to work again. But I got worse.  The vomiting increased to once or twice an hour, and I finally weighed myself.  I had lost 8 lbs since Friday morning.  Under normal circumstances I would have been jumping for joy, but these aren't normal circumstances.

So, I called AJ and we decided that it was probably a wise idea to go to the ER.  We called the nurse on call with our insurance (I really like having that feature), and she said that if I was vomiting more than three times a day I should either call the doctor or go to the emergency room.  OK, well I am glad to know we were on the right track.

We get there, and they move us along fairly quickly.  The doctor decides that I have hyperemesis gravidarum. This means that I have to get an IV.  I HATE IVs!!! Actually, they are one of my strongest phobias out there.  In most cases, I would rather die than get one.  Well, yesterday, I already felt dead so I didn't put up a fight until they were trying to get the FOURTH one in me.  They punched FIVE holes, for TWO IVs!

I was so dehydrated that they had a hard time getting the first two in, so the nurse switched to a neonatal IV.  She managed to get that in, but the IV wasn't going fast enough for the doctor.  She decided that she was going to put a bigger tube.  That failed MISERABLY.  I love doctors, but you could tell she wasn't used to doing this.  It hurt really bad, so after a few minutes of her trying she finally gave up.  I got a little bit of rest until it was shift change.  The new nurse decided to try to put a bigger one in, too.  She got it in with only a little pain.  I will say once she got that one in the fluid started moving faster.  I had been moving about 100 mls every hour, and it went up to 100 mls every 15 minutes or so.  They also gave me something for vomiting in the IV.  I think that was the best part of the whole ordeal.

I finished the bag, and they were coming into to release me.  They came in and also told me I have a bladder infection.  I am not sure how that happened, but I know that can contribute to the vomiting.  So, I am not on an antibiotic for that.  

Today hasn't been much better.  AJ took the day off to make sure I didn't get worse.  We filled the prescription and I have slept a lot between rounds of vomiting.  I feel totally overwhelmed by all of this actually.  I am in the "lucky" 1% that has this problem.  I was hoping the last couple of weeks were a good sign that it was under control, but it doesn't look that way.  We go to the OB tomorrow, and hopefully he will have some ideas on how to help this because NOTHING is seeming to work.  I want to feel better!

No comments: