Monday, July 12, 2010

Reconciliation : Writing Hurts in the Sand


A story tells that two friends were walking through the desert. During some point of the journey they had an argument, and one friend slapped the other one in the face.

The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything, wrote in the sand:
TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE.

They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to take a bath. The one who had been slapped got stuck in the mire and started drowning, but the friend saved him.

After he recovered from the near drowning, he wrote on a stone:
TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE.

The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone, why?" 

The other friend replied "When someone hurts us we should write it down in sand where winds of forgiveness can erase it away. But, when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."
The last week has lead to some interesting thoughts and feelings.  I have a friend who is really turning into a great sharping stone for me.  The more time I spend with her the more I am truly encouraged in my Christian walk and in life in general.  She has provoked some really deep thoughts and self-reflection and she has really challenged me in my faith.  I am really thankful that God has put her in my life at this time in my life and that he is using her as such a wonderful honing tool.

During my quiet times and self-study this week I have been hit by a couple of things.  One of the biggest ones is that I have some relationships in my life that need to be healed and "re-booted".  I figure if movie series can be re-booted and grow into something amazingly awesome then why can't some of my relationships be the same way?  Especially since I have The Author working with me to do this task?

I have some relationships that I have been hurt in and instead of actually talking to that  person I have let the hurt grow into serious dislike and contempt.  Others, I have let time and distance grow between us and feel at a loss talking to the person, or worse that they don't really care for me anymore.  I hate actually acknowledging these facts, but they are true.  I don't want to have those feelings inside me anymore.  If I don't like them then I need to be the one that does something about it.

I have also been feeling really lonely lately, and I know I am  not the only one, but because of the previous issues I am not reaching out to my friends who are in the same boat.  I don't want to be lonely.  I want to be happy and able to share my life with my friends. 

God has called us to reconciliation, first with himself and then with others.  I am making strides to reconcile myself with my Savior, and return to a relationship with him that I am very happy and proud of.  I am also going to make strides to reconcile with my friends.

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. - Phillipians 4:4-9


If you feel that my relationship needs to be re-booted with you, please let me know.  This is a very serious request, especially since I can only see things from my side of the picture.  I want a peace in my relationships.

No comments: