Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Battle of the Bulge - Week 21 - Swelling


This week has been mentally ok, but physically rough.  Everything is swollen up and was fairly painful once the steroids were out of my system.  24 hours after I finished taking this round I puffed back up.  I have developed these lumps on the bases of my thumbs. They stand up about a half inch, and they really bug me because they look odd/ gross.  I tried to get a good picture of them, but it isn't easy taking a picture of your own hand (and for some reason body damage pictures never come out well - bruises, burns, and bumps).

My whole week has been summed up by swelling and water gain.  Within 48 hours of coming of the steroids I had re-gained 2.8 lbs.  It has since dropped back to only being 1.5 lb gained.  I was mildly frustrated, but I am getting use to this bouncing up and down.  The one that got me was I did my measurements - I had gained about 4 inches total on my whole body.  I was shocked! How is it that water weight can do that? I am sure it is water weight because this is the continuing trend - I have had to take my rings off the last couple of days because my hands were so swollen and my socks are cutting into my ankles. Blargh!

I did have a fun moment this week.  AJ took me to buy a new pair of jeans.  The ones that I have been wearing are stretchy, and after about 30 minutes they have stretched out so far that they barely fit.  The ones that I am moving into have no stretch at all, and they were fitting ok.  They were still a little tight through the hips, but were fitting great through the waist.  With this water jump up they were a little too tight.  So, we went and bought one pair that would get me through.  That was a happy!  The other happy is that my t-shirts are getting really baggy and starting to fall off my shoulders. Yay!!!

I am trying to take this really negative weight week in stride.  I am hoping that this flare is getting close to over because after spending most of the week in a lot of pain, the pain is lessening.  Now, I just need the swelling to go down.  I also have had a minor calorie jump up to about 1800 a day.  Nothing to major, but I need to work on pulling it back down to 1500 since I am not moving nearly as much.  As the pain goes back down I am going to start walking again.  Also, therapy is moving towards more overall body health and I am enjoying the workout they have got me on currently.

Score Card:
Weekly Weight Change : +1.5 lbs
Weekly Measurements : 0 inches
Total Weight Change : -21.7 lbs
Total Measurements : -16.5 inches total body
 

No comments: