Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Battle of the Bulge - Week 19 - Mild Rebound



I used to  think I was on a treadmill with the pain and diet.  That I was making progress, but only in my head - kind of like I am a hamster in a wheel.  But, I have decided it is more of a trampoline.  One week I bounce really high and I almost feel like I am flying, then the next I am sunk down next to the ground.  It is very frustrating.  I am off the happy steroids, and having a rebound of the swelling and pain.  There is something really wrong in sleeping for 8-9 hours and waking up feeling like I have run a marathon (not that I have actually done that, but I assume after doing so your body would just ache).  I am trying to be really positive about the fact that some weeks are up and some are down.  At least I have still got some up ones. :)  I just need to learn to look at this as a game and enjoy the up/ flying feeling and know that I will come down, but I will go back up again.

Last Wednesday was great at therapy.  I had one of the most productive days I have had since this flair started.  Brett (my main therapist) was really happy and all excited.  Then Friday came and I was having a hard time walking on the treadmill again, and about to cry the whole time because I got some frustrating news from the doctor's office.  Luckily, Brett and Mark (the other therapist) have been able to see what is going on and they were really supportive.  The good news is that my back is about as fixed as it can get without surgery, and we are moving into more physical therapy for whole body wellness.  This is really the direction I want to be going in, especially now that we think we know what is going on.  The therapy won't be able to fix this new monster, but it should really be able to help it.

On the weight loss side - I lost 0.7 lbs this week! Woohoo!!! I was really scared it was going back up these last couple of days because the scale hasn't been my friend.  It has been pointing out that my weight has been affected by the pain and swelling again.  I hate waking up feeling bad and having the scale confirm with a higher number that the pain isn't just in my head.  Which, I will admit I frequently think - at least until my knees start crunching and my hands freeze in weird positions. 

I am waiting to hear back from the doctor - hopefully today about what is going on.  I do have a post written about it already, but I am still waiting for as final of an answer as we might be able to get.  Then this beast will have a name!

On the "diet" front we are changing the way we eat again.  I have been doing some research on going gluten-free.  There seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest that cutting out gluten can help with inflammation and thus pain.  We have been trying it for the last week or so, with varying degrees of success.  I am a carb fan, and I haven't found a way to cut out all the gluten yet.  Cereal and baked goods are my down fall.  I don't eat that many of either, but when I have the calories left for them and I am hungry it is really hard to say no.  I bought fruit in a hope that I can make that transition.  We will see how that goes and how well I can stick to a reduced gluten or gluten-free (GF) diet.  Luckily, I have some friends who are GF and they loaned me some cookbooks!


Score Card:
Weekly Weight Change : -0.7 lbs
Weekly Measurements : 0 inches
Total Weight Change : -22.4 lbs
Total Measurements : -16.5 inches total body
 

1 comment:

dragon-mouse said...

I know that Betty Crocker makes gluten-free baking mixes. The brownies are good, especially with added mashmallows (also GF)! A little girl in my class has celiac disease, so I learned a lot about the crazy things you can and can't eat. Chocolate and Cheetos are still in!