Monday, June 14, 2010

"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Photo from sxc.hu

"Five years from now, you’re the same person except for the people you’ve met and the books you’ve read."
— John Wooden

I have been reading like a crazy person this week.  I didn't realize what I was doing until AJ asked me one night if I had finished my other book because I was starting a new one.  I looked at him like he was mildly crazy and said, "No, but I just got this one and it looks interesting."  Then the next day at physical therapy my therapist asked me what I had been up to, and I started telling him about the books I was reading.  He then asked how many books I was reading, "Oh, just 3, oh wait, 4 actually.  I forgot I was reading a novel, too." He just kind of shook his head and walked away.

This isn't a new behavior pattern for me.  I have always read a lot and frequently multiple books at once, or serial books.  I heard about a program that wanted people to read 100 books a year (it could be any kind of bound material to qualify as a book).  I am tempted to try that, but I don't want to be bound to keep track of my books.  I am fairly sure in an average year I read more than 100 books.

The only thing that is really different this time is I am reading a lot of non-fiction.  I haven't read this many non-fiction books back to back or at the same time since I was in college, and those were political books that I really hated having to read.  I am enjoying it and I am learning more about all kinds of different things. 

With all this reading I am finding that I am trying to really understand some things that I hadn't thought about before.  I am being exposed to some new and different ideas and loving it.  The only problem I have is now I want to find away to compress and track the information I am learning.  I am thinking that I am going to start doing some book reports on my blog.  Nothing complicated, but a way to track the book and the key points of the information.  Maybe it will help someone else decide if they should read the book. 

I found this quote:

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
- Joseph Addison

Reading this makes me really want to do the book reports, so that as I am getting other areas of my life into shape - physically and financially, I am getting my brain into shape.  I am working on picking as a day to make my book report day, so it will probably be next week before I actually start them.  I just wanted to semi make it official by telling myself I am going to do it. 

Oh, and as always, I would love to have company along this journey! So, if you want to read and talk about some books you are reading, let me know and we can have a linky party!

1 comment:

dragon-mouse said...

This is funny! At the begining of this year, I started a log of all the books I've read this year. So far I'm in the middle of the twentieth. I thought it would have been more, but I did pick out a thousand-some-odd pager in the middle there. I'm going to post it at the end of the year on my LJ.