Monday, April 5, 2010

Pretty Little Envelopes - Cash System

We have been a cash only house for just about two years now. We follow the Dave Ramsey Envelope system and it works great for us. The only problem is that I don't like the envelopes that came with the Financial Peace University Class. I am not good about writing the information down on the outsides (namely because doing the math on the envelope at the checkout counter was annoying me and other people, but if I didn't do it then, I would forget.) Also, they weren't very pretty and I am starting to like things that are pretty.

If you haven't heard of Dave Ramsey I really encourage you to check him out! He is all about getting out of debt in the right way by working at it. We did his program to get rid of our debt two years ago, and  using his methods we paid off my husband's student loans in just about 6 months (and before we ever had to make a payment or incur any interest on them). It also freed us up to buy our house and take a couple of vacations by paying cash for them. It has been a really freeing thing for us in our life. We did go against the program minorly by getting a mortgage (but it is the only kind he recommends) and by getting a car loan last year (but my 12 year old Saturn DIED! and it had been limping along for a long while - the AC died in July in FL and I kept driving it until the transmission went in late Oct.) but it should be paid off in the next year or so.

Well, a couple of months ago I finally started looking into all this digital scrapbooking stuff. Yes, I know I am so behind the trend, but it isn't as appealing to me as being able to actually touch my stuff that I am working on. But, I did find this amazingly nifty site kelleighratzlaff.com that has this great envelopes pattern here. So, now that I have this nifty pattern I started hunting for digital scrapbook papers, and my mom lead me to this site that has a bunch for free - Two Peas in a Bucket.


 

I used Photoshop to put the pretty paper over the envelope template. I did goof initially and forget to rotate the paper from portrait to landscape, so I did print a couple of wrong ones, but I will use that paper for something else.


Then it was time to cut them all out. Follow the dark outside lines only.


They don't look much like envelopes at this point, but they are getting there.


Fold them up on the dashed lines. I fold first before I try to add the glue tape so that I have crisp lines and since I am a klutz I am not as likely to glue the wrong thing or glue myself to it.


I love this glue tape runner that I got at Wal-Mart. I also use a piece of parchment paper that came with a pack of iron-on t-shirt transfers. The tape doesn't stick to the parchment and it makes it easier to work with the tape because I can get it just on the edge.


Once I have the two sides glued I refold them into the envelope shape. This seems to work the best for me and I am not as likely to have extra glue and have the envelope stick in random places.


All done.


Aren't the pretty? I love all the colors and patterns. These feel really Springy to me and I love opening my pouch I keep them in and seeing all the colors. They are also really easy to make and don't take to long to do so that I can make them whenever I want some new ones. Also, since they put out new free paper patterns really frequently, I can update with all new colors, too.


I am participating in these carnivals. If you want to see some really neat craft projects or just want to be inspired by some other great ideas be sure to check them out!





The Girl Creative





Making
DIY Day @ ASPTL































The Trendy Treehouse








http://womenwhodoitall.blogspot.com/














10 comments:

Maggie said...

Love the way these turned out, I use the envelope system as well - I ended up binding mine into a book that I keep in my purse. I just love pulling it out to pay for things with cash. I'm not sure what get more attention, my envelope book, or the fact that I'm actually paying with cash!

Kim said...

Found you via Skip To My Lou - love the envelopes and am now following...

dax248 said...

Maggie - I know the feeling! I love the almost stunned look I get some days for paying with cash, it makes me smile.

Kim - Thanks for stopping by and following me. I am always happy to have new people, it makes me smile :)

kirstin & jordan said...

love these... I love making envelopes from patterned paper. :)
we have a friday fun find party- we'd love it if you linked up!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

love making envelopes!!
these turned out great!

Jill from Women Who Do It All said...

Very cute! What a fun idea, thanks for sharing!!!
-Jill

Jessica Hills said...

Those are pretty! Thanks so much for posting this on Favorite Things Friday!

Jill from Women Who Do It All said...

I'm featuring this :)

dax248 said...

Jill - Oh, thank you!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

SO cute. I love Dave Ramsey. What a fun way to help with debt! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft!!