Thursday, April 15, 2010

Home Ownership - Year One


We closed on our house on April 15th, 2009. We moved into our house on April 18th, 2009. It seems like the year has just flown by. It is also neat to see how much our house has evolved in just a year. Some rooms have changed frequently, and other have been slower to change. Here are some highlights of the journey.


The Entry Way - Inside & Out

Originally:





Evolution & Now:




I really wish we had a front porch. We don't we have a really small entry area, but that doesn't mean we can't fake a porch area. I really like the way that this has evolved. I also like having the rocking chair by the door to put stuff on while I am trying to unlock the door. It still has a ways to go, and I have some fun ideas for it.




These are from two different areas of the entry way. One is the space that you see when you first walk in (the top picture) and the other is behind the door when you walk in. They have evolved differently, but are still part of the same whole. I love this quote.

The Dining Room:

Originally:

Evolution & Now:










This room has been one of the biggest transformations in the house. It has evolved from a formal dining room into our library. We discovered we are not formal dining room people even though we kept trying to be. We are still working really hard on this room because we didn't start the conversion until last week, so I am interested to see how it really looks in the end.

The Garage:

Originally:


Evolution:



We have a workshop for AJ in our garage now. It looks really amazing, and it really changed the way the garage looks. Our garage has also varied between really clean and organized to really chaotic.

The Kitchen:

Originally:






Evolution & Now:










The kitchen one of the other rooms that has really changed in a year. We got appliances to start with. Then we painted it this amazing blue and added this fun back splash. I love our kitchen!

I am not so sure of the eat-in kitchen right now. We just moved the dining room table into the eat-in and I still need to do some tweaking. I also found some crisp white curtains that need to be hung. I think having the curtains and the other table cloth I really want to use will help a bunch.

The Living Room:

Originally:



Evolution & Now:



The living room hasn't changed much other than we bought these bookcases and tv stand from Ikea. We love the way it looks in there. I have flipped the couches and chairs a couple of time, but nothing really major.


The Guest Room:

Originally:


Evolution & Now:




I thought I was going to hate this purple paint color, and I did initially. Now, I really like it and it looks great with the guest room set up this way. My mom has had a great time "playing" with this room and she is the one who has driven a lot of the decoration of this room. We have a fairly good relationship with this room, I bring home random things that shouldn't fit together, and then she makes them all fit together.


Molly's Playroom:

Originally:


Evolution & Now:




I did hate the pink on this room. I promptly painted it a cheery yellow. I love the way it came out! I love having a craft room (even though it is only ever this clean when I am taking pictures of it).

6 comments:

dragon-mouse said...

I love the library! And the back splash is AWESOME. I'd love to do something like that, but I'd have to paint and rip out the old nasty stained backsplash... (Can you tell that wouldn't be too painful for me?)

Can't wait to see it sometime!

Joanna said...

We bought our house with a purple bedroom- and it was the master! It was the first on the list to get painted, and then it kept getting put off, and now we've gotten so used to it we probably won't paint it at all!

I love the window seat in your craft room! I'm a sucker for window seats.

dax248 said...

Jenn - Regarding the library- you see why we are so excited for this book sale. We now have a real place to put them all. I can't wait for you to come down!

Joanna - It is weird I am not a purple person, but now having lived with the guest room I think we are going to keep it. Also, we are talking about painting our bathroom a light purple/ grey color. I think the color is growing on me.

Momma said...

I love the evolution idea. Can't wait to see the finish of the dining room. You go girl! Mom

Helen said...

Check out the Real Simple this month, whole section of 40/50s designs. Looks like your ideas come to life. you should be a designer, ahead of your time.

dax248 said...

Momma - I did check it out! I am really moving to be a "graphic modern" person. I love the bold prints and the colors. Also, I am figuring out that I like really clean lines in furniture. Nothing "MODERN" because that looks to stark, but more crazy vintagey.