Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Battle of the Bulge - Week 6 - Attacked by Stress


Arg! This was so not the way this week was supposed to go! I maintained my weight this week. I am mostly happy about that fact, but not really. 

I was so looking forward to getting to post that I had hit the 10lb mark this week. I did accomplish that goal, but I didn't maintain it. I know that sounds strange, but there is a lot going on with it. 

Back story - I weigh myself every morning (yes, I know I am not supposed to do that, but I do and it gives me some comfort) and it is helpful to me in some ways. Since I track this number daily I can see exactly where my weight is (but I only officially record the weight on my chart weekly). Early this week I lost 1.3lbs, and it put me under the 10lb mark. Then about Saturday, my weight spiked up 1.5lbs, so essentially gaining back what I had just lost. Well, I will admit I freaked out! How could that happen? I have been under my calorie counts and working out, so what happened? 

Well, I gave it a couple of days and it was still there. So, I started looking at all the other stuff going on around me. My back has been in excruciating pain since Friday. I haven't been able to do much lately, and what I have done has been a sheer act of will to not be sidelined by the pain. I am not sleeping much at all at night (maybe 5 hours) because I keep waking myself up due to the pain. I also noticed that my ankles and feet were really swollen up. These two facts combined make me think that it is entirely a water weight gain and isn't a real gain. So, I did some research and found that physical stress aka pain can make you retain water because your body is protecting itself. Yay, glad to know that! I didn't do my measurements this week because I am fairly sure they would be off with the swelling.

I am hoping the numbers look great next week, if I can get the pain under control. I am hoping that I will get the boost from last weeks lost included in the loss from this week. That would be really cool. I am really hoping that next week isn't a bomb on my weight loss like last week has been. 

I will say it has been a learning week. I am glad I keep track of things the way I do so that when stuff like this happens I can prove to myself that it isn't something I did to fail, but I can use the data to help pinpoint what is going on. I know that because I stuck to my calories and exercised it wasn't a surplus of food or lack of movement (there was lessening of movement, but that is because moving in someways can't be physically done right now), but it was something that I can't control - my body's innate reaction to pain.



No comments: