Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eye-Fi Rocks!



I am not a "tech" person. I married AJ for that reason. I want my technology to work and be easy for me, but I am generally not the one in our house that seeks out new nifty products. AJ is normally the one who comes home wanting something newer and spiffier and is the one to tell me about neat products that are out there.

Well, this time the roles were reversed. A while back I had a friend on facebook who bought an Eye-Fi card. She mentioned that it was uploading her pictures while she was playing with her camera in her backyard. I thought, "hey, that sounds pretty cool." Then I did nothing with that information.

So, we fast forward about six months. My little Canon camera got broken in September. Since then, I have been looking for a new camera to replace it. But, while I am looking for cameras I am also looking more into the Eye-Fi card. It is starting to sound more appealing since my main workhorse computer is upstairs. It is the computer I keep all my pictures on because it the hard drive is bigger. But, like I said, it is upstairs and I don't want to have to go up there every time I need to dump my memory card.


Well, we bought a new camera. We also bought the Eye-Fi 4gb Share Video card. It is AMAZING! It has the ability to upload to not only my computer, but to all kinds of social media sharing sites - Facebook, Flikr, and YouTube. I haven't used those aspects yet, but I like having them as choices.

It is really easy to use. All I have to do is turn on the camera that the card is in while we are on our network. It does it all in the background when the camera is on. It doesn't slow down the camera while taking pictures, and you would never know it was transferring. From what I can see while it is transferring the card will keep the camera turned on, too. This is nice because we have our camera set to turn off fairly quickly when it isn't in use to save battery life.

The only negative I have heard so far is from AJ. He says that the video is a little slow. I haven't used the card for many videos, so this hasn't been a problem for me. I have manually copied them on to the desktop or laptop. The card also came with a card reader, which made the manual process much easier, too.

All in all, I love this card. It was a little expensive, but we had a $10 gift card for Best Buy when we bought it and it brought it down into our price range. I am really happy we got this card. I would highly recommend this card if you are as slow as I can be about getting my pictures off my camera.

EDIT: I am submitting this post to WFMW (being hosted this week at Rocks In My Dryer, but normally at We ARE That Family). Go check out all the other Works For Me Wednesday links, because they always have fun stuff!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That does sound cool!

dax248 said...

Amanda- I love mine! I am such a slacker that I have filled multi-cards before I finally transferred them. I really like having something that un-tethers me.