Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Two Sticks and a String

I am trying to teach myself to knit. Hmmm. Let's just say that it isn't going as well as I had hoped. I am normally fairly quick to pick something up, but this isn't going as well. I have all kinds of friends that knit, but did I get one of them to show me? No. I had to decide to tackle this idea on my own.

I have been accumulating knitting needles from random estate sales. Generally, they are thrown into random boxes of sewing stuff. I have a set of round needles, some giant needles, a pair of normal (size 8) needles, and lots and lots of little needles and double points. I had managed to get the hang of straight knitting on the round ones a couple of months ago, but it wasn't totally what I wanted.

So, the next step was to grab two of the double points and try to straight knit. UGH!!! Not exactly a fail, but very close. It took 2.5 hours to accomplish this (with starting over about four times, and adding a couple of more hours).

 Well, I thought maybe the needles were the wrong size for me to be learning on. I found the size 8 needles. I also decided that I wanted to skip to making ribs, easy enough right? Then I worked for about 3 hours. Nothing was working, I was having a hard time with the yarn doing crazy things. I cut out four pieces before I finally got the hang of it.


I will say, I am glad yarn is easy to undo. It isn't like messing up with some of the other things I have tackled, but I will say it is more frustrating. I don't like the fact that I have to get to a certain point to see where I have messed it up.

I finally got it going. I was trying to accomplish a rib pattern. Well, I did, then I didn't flip it right and it came out as a checkerboard. I really liked the way it looked. So, on with that I went.


I was doing fairly well with this piece until I just totally goofed something up that I never really figured what happened. As I was trying to figure it out, I pulled the needle to far out and then I lost a bunch of stitches. Not knowing what I was doing (I did figure out how to save the stitches, but I didn't want to go through the effort).

I started over, again. This time it is going fairly well. I four sections of the checkerboard, then I am switched to straight knitting. I am going to see how this works. The edges are a little wonky, but at least it is a good start for a first piece on real needles.


I will say that when I finally gave it up for the night my joints were fairly mad at me. Hmmm... Not sure what to do about that aspect, but I am going to keep playing with this. I still don't understand how people find it relaxing yet, but maybe with time I will.

No comments: