Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Seeing Spots - Backsplash Project

We have been wanting to do something as a backsplash behind the stove since we moved into the house. AJ and I have talked about using all kinds of different things from tiling it to using stamped metal tiles. We hadn't done anything to tackle this dilemma because we just didn't know what to do. 

Well, in January we painted the kitchen and the kitchenette. I love the color that we painted them. So, that added a new kink in the backsplash dilemma. I didn't want to cover up the blue paint, so we talked about having acrylic sheets cut to put up. But, that was going to cost a little more than we wanted to put into it. So, again, we didn't do anything.

Yesterday I was hunting curtains at Target that I had seen on sale last week. I couldn't find the curtains, but I did find these neat place mats on clearance for $0.48 each. I couldn't believe that price, and I thought they would make a perfect backsplash.

 

Here is the kitchen with just the blue paint job.



I put the place mats up to check to see how I needed to cut them to accommodate the light switches and the height between the counter top and the cabinets.


I marked out the light switch covers onto the place mats.


Next I took and cut out the holes using a razor knife, a self healing mat, and my quilting straight edge. I also cut off the bottoms.

 

 

Once the pieces were cut out and the bottoms were cut off, I used clear adhesive squares and attached them to the wall. I had to cut a couple of extra pieces to fit into the gaps that full pieces wouldn't fit.


I think it came out really well. I like the fact that the blue still comes through and there are bits of extra color. I also like the fact that when they get dirty I can either wipe them off or if they get really gross, I can take them down and wash them.

 

The bits of color work well with the other colors that I already had in the kitchen. I didn't think I would ever find anything that would match the avocado of our bread box (a great find at a thrift store for $2), but the place mats had some circles that were the same avocado color. I also picked up a valance for the kitchenette that has the pinks and yellows in it.

Overall I think this was a success. It cost a grand total of $6.48 for the place mats and then adhesive squares.

Linked to on: A Spot Place to Land's DIY Day , The Persimmon Perch's Make It Monday, and Today's Creative Blog's Get Your Craft On. Check them out to see some amazing projects!

10 comments:

StasiaBirdKnits said...

Dude, I think this is my favorite post so far. I definitely never would have thought of that and it looks great.

dax248 said...

Thanks Stasia! Glad you liked it!!! I love the look of it and it was so cheap to do!

dragon-mouse said...

*picks up jaw off floor*
Seriously?!
I used to think I was crafty....
That is AWESOME!
(And if you want something to match your avocado breadbox, we can trade sinks... Mine comes with a bonus glow-in-the-dark spot!) lol

dax248 said...

Thanks Jenn! The creepy glowing spot that you don't know how it got there? Hmmm... Might have to think about that. Then we wouldn't need a nightlight in the kitchen ;)

Mama Byrd said...

So stinking cute!!!!!

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

What a thrifty NIFTY idea!

dax248 said...

Mama Byrd - THANKS!

Sherri - I LOVE your blog! Thanks for stopping by!

becca said...

this is an incredibly creative idea. i have never seen anything like this. great work!

Bobbie said...

That is super cute :) I would love for you to come and link up to check me out saturdays at www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

The Persimmon Perch said...

Whimsical and different. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules