Monday, January 25, 2010

Influences

I am watching CBS New Sunday Morning. This show isn't something that is normally aimed at my age bracket, and I don't think it ever has been. But, I have been watching it since I was little. I remember being fascinated by the pretty sun pictures that they use to make transitions. I also have random memories of different things they have talked about over the years. I have learned things about people I would have never know otherwise. Right now they are talking to Melody Gardot. I have never heard of her before, but her voice and her music sounds amazing. I might have to see if I can find some.

The reason I am thinking about all this is because I wonder how much of what we like as adults is influence by what our parents do while we are young. My mom watched CBS New Sunday Morning whenever we were home on Sunday mornings. So, I have happy memories of the show, it was a comforting thing to see my mom drinking coffee and watching the show, and me curled under a blanket half paying attention.

My mom also listened to talk radio when I was young. I always swore I would never listen to talk radio when I had my own car. Well, guess what... I never held to that promise. The talk radio stations called out to me and in Gainesville they had top priority on my radio in my car (depending on the time of day and who was on). I would even listen to them on the radios at work (again, depending on time of day and who was in the lab). Now, it has evolved into listening to podcast. I have developed into and adult wanting constant stimulation, but it needs to be either informational or vocal educational. Not to say that I don't listen to music in the car, but it does tend to be background noise.

My parents were always "up to" something. They always had some kind of project in some form of in progress or almost completed. Both of them were always in the middle of creating something. My dad was frequently out in his shop, and then coming in at night covered in sawdust, metal shavings, or just plain crud. I remember him learning all kinds of new things, just to learn them. Everything from taking me to a carving class (we only went to one because, well my parents are like me... learn the basics and then kind of ignore the instructions and make it work) to now he makes Native American flutes. Then I hear stories from my mom that he is planting a field of wildflowers so that he can take pictures of butterflies this spring. At some point I need to get some of his pictures and post them (he is really good!)

What are some of the things that influenced you that you didn't think would? What are some of the things you always swore that you wouldn't do, but no are a part of you that you love?

No comments: