Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas - Looking forward to the New Year

Merry Christmas!


I am happy that it is Christmas. We got to come home to my parents place, which has not happened since AJ and I got married. It was nice waking up here, and just being able to come down to the house for Christmas morning.

I have had a good Christmas. It has been fun and wonderful. But, I am looking forward to the new year. I am looking forward to getting back into my routines and starting some new ones. There are so many things that I want to start doing and incorporating into our lives. I just need the time and things to slow down to get things figured out.

I have come to the conclusion that where my life is heading is something I am terming "vintage homemaking". I have been heading in this direction for a VERY long time. I started trying to figure this stuff out when I first graduated college. There have been lots of bumps along the way. The biggest one has been overcome... I got married to a man who wants to have a wife that is into homemaking. The next biggest ones have been finding the information that I want to know.

Luckily, my parents are real throwbacks (a term I use with love, and very frequently call myself). They grew up with parents who were adults during The Great Depression, and that has influenced their lives and mine. I grew up with parents who grew food, canned, and raised farm animals. Some of my earliest memories are of slaughter days and learning how to make our own food. My grandparents  and parents quilted, knitted, crocheted, sewed, cooked, hunted, fished, planted, and gardened all for survival and because that is what they knew. I have gotten a lot of information from them, but not as much as I want.

I have discovered that my family has been "green" long before "green" ever existed. Luckily, their quirkiness on that stuff has been passed to me. I have been on the green websites and learned more there, too. I don't want to go "green". I don't care nearly as much about that aspect... I am not saying that I want to do things to hurt the world, but I am not going to go out of my way to do things to that inconvenience me either. I like a lot of the ideas that the websites have, but I get tired of reading about "carbon footprints" and "CO2 emissions".

I have also found some homemaking forums, but they are on sites I don't always agree with either. I don't want to go into what they are, but they do have some useful information. Though I don't agree with the sites, I am glad to know that there are people out there trying to learn these things, too. Occasionally, I feel lost in all of this because it feels like I am the only one trying to tackle these things.

I don't want commercialization. I want real stuff. I am tired of plastic things. I am tired of things that break, don't last, and are not reparable or re-purposeable.

I am not saying that to say we are getting rid of technology, heck I just got my new Zune and it is charging as I type this, but more to say... I don't want my homemaking attempts to be fake or bought. I want my life to be real and the things in it to be real.

Real food. Real clothes. Real time and energy. Real love being put into things. Real work.

I want to hone my skills. I want to be good at the things I do. At the end of the day I want to be proud of what I have done and accomplished. I want it to be something that serves me and my husband. I want him to be proud of who we are and what we can do to take care of ourselves.

I don't know how long it will really take to make these transformations, but I want to do them. I want to try to keep track of our journey in all the things we do. AJ is learning all kinds of new things, too. I am really proud of his accomplishments - as I write this he is sitting on the couch reading a book he got for Christmas on DIY Home Improvements - he is turning into an amazing home person.

I know this post is long and rambling, but a journey has to start somewhere, and mine normally start with some random wanderings... so this is that first wandering rambling step.

Here is to the Journey!

No comments: