Tuesday, November 17, 2009

CRAFT DAY!!! Project 3

Goal 4 - Cut Out Fabric for Christmas Place Mats

I wanted to get a head start on the fabric for my place mats. They are going to be slightly different than the ones I made for Fall. I didn't think I was going to have enough fabric the way that I wanted to make these, so I was trying to figure that out. I was right, I only had enough for 4 and not the 6 I wanted. I also want to make a table runner that will go on the buffet. So, I am going to have to pick up more before the next #craftday.


I love my rotary cutter and mat. I want a bigger mat because I have to keep folding the fabric to cut large pieces. Not really that big of a deal as long as I keep the edges even. The place mats are 13" x 19", so not huge, but big enough that they don't fit onto my mat.


I had bought white fabric to make these the exact same way that I made the Fall ones. I decided I didn't want to make them that way though. So, I had to come up with a way to do the edges. I made my own bias tape. Yes, it would have been easier and probably cheaper to buy it, but I already had the same fabric in white, so I did it that way.


Pinning the bias tape to the place mat.


Finally done pinning. I am going to have enough white fabric to make the edging. Hmmm... now that I have it pinned, I really should sew it to make sure that the thread I bought will work...


The snowflake actually on the place mat. I only did one of them on this one. I am probably going to do two on each place mat, in opposite corners.


A look at the almost finished project. I might do the other snowflake today, or I might save it until later... though it would be nice to have at least one done to show AJ tonight.

Random thought: Do stores have any idea how much I would buy from them if they would make Christmas decorations in blue, white, and silver? Yes, I realize that these are traditional Hanukkah colors, but I don't care. Living in Florida I need cold colors at Christmas to make it feel like winter!!!

2 comments:

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

You are gifted! Those are great! Did your machine stitch that, or did you embroider it..? And I'm with you on the blue, white, and silver for Christmas. So timeless and classic, so wintery! Green and red kinda hurt my eyes. :-) I mean, where do you see them together besides Christmas wrapping paper and flags?

dax248 said...

Yay! I am glad to know that someone else is in the "wintery" Christmas category. I machine quilted them. My embroidery skills are still lacking.