Tuesday, November 17, 2009

CRAFT DAY!!! - Project 2

Craft Day Goal 3 - Making the snowflake template for my Christmas decorations.

Did you know that it is almost impossible to find a snowflake stencil? I almost bought a spatula that had a snowflake in it to just get a stencil, but it wasn't the right size and honestly I didn't like the snowflake. So, I decided it couldn't be that hard to make my own.

It wasn't hard, just time consuming. The whole thing took about 30 minutes.


I had to find a snowflake I liked that could be turned into an easy to sew snowflake and one that still looked like a snowflake.

Then printed it out and taped it down to my glass mat. Then taped the plastic sheet on top and traced the picture onto the plastic.


Then I had to look for the nice nifty new exacto knife I bought. Apparently, it has already run away. So, I used my trusty standby razor knife. All those pink pieces are what I cut out. Pink sharpie works great for being able to see what you are cutting.

The finished template. I really really like way it came out. The colored spots still on the template were where I was telling myself not to cut. Had I cut those the stencil would have been loose and not had the detail. I don't know if I am going to use the diamonds in the middle of the final projects or not. I like them, but not sure how they would look sewn into the placemats.

2 comments:

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

So I'm really impressed and all, but also confused... did you hand-sew them using the stencil?

dax248 said...

No, I cheated I used the sewing machine to quilt them. I don't have the hand control to really quilt that often anymore.