Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recipe Swap: Crock Pot Lifesavers - Guinness Beef Stew

Beef Stew - yum. Guinness - yum. Guinness Beef Stew - yummy yummy in my tummy!

Some how this meal tends to be a collection of whatever is floating around the apartment when I decide to make it, so it almost always varies. It also doesn't help that I am not the biggest fan of following recipes and/ or measuring cups. I kind of have an eclectic view on cooking and that it is a science as well as an art form. Luckily I am blessed with a husband who for the most part will eat almost anything and lets me play in the kitchen.

The recipe swap is hosted by The Natural Mommy

Guinness Beef Stew

  1. 1lb cut up beef (the only thing I think that wouldn't work is hamburger), so the cheapest cut of beef should work well.
  2. carrots -diced how you like them.
  3. potatoes - diced how you like them.
  4. 1/2 onion - chopped into large sections
  5. 1 bottle of Guinness
  6. 1 can beef broth (small)
  7. 2 tbs tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tbs water
  8. pinch of pepper
  9. 1tsp thyme
  10. 1tsp oregano
  11. 1/4 flour
  12. 2 tbs oil
Cut meat into cubes of 2 inches (or so) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil.
Season the flour with ground pepper.
Toss the meat in the mixture.
Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat.
Brown the meat on all sides.
Add the onions and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
Transfer the contents of the pan to a crockpot. P
our some of the Guinness into the frying pan.
Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan (because these are the yummy bits).
Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness and beef broth.
Add the carrots, oregano, and the thyme.
Stir.
Cook in crockpot for 4-6 hour on high, or overnight on low. Basically I follow the rule, when it smells to yummy to resist it is done.

If it isn't thick enough you can add a little bit of cornstarch at the end, but that is a personal preference.

Also I occasionally make soda bread with this, because it is easy and quick.


SODA BREAD

  1. 2 cups of all purpose flour.
  2. 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
  3. 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  4. 8 oz of sour milk

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees.
In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
Add the sour milk to form a sticky dough.
Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape).
Shape into a round flat shape and place onto a cookie sheet and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
Bake for 30 minutes.
The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

Ok, just thinking about all this makes me hungry... I wonder what is on our meal plan for tonight...

3 comments:

Emily said...

Crockpots are 100% awesome. I never used ours until this past fall, and then I wondered why I hadn't been cooking with it all along! Coming home and smelling dinner done is fantastic. Yay crockpots!

- Emily K.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

I've never even heard of soda bread! I'll have to try that sometime...

Along with your stew recipe, of course. :-)

dax248 said...

Soda bread is easy and yummy. I will warn you though, it tends to be a bit dry. Apple butter helps :)