Monday, April 7, 2008

Randomness... or how NOT to make banana bread

From Friday on, this has been a weird weekend. I was sick Friday day, so I went home and slept... and slept... and slept. All in all I was probably asleep for about 5-6 hours. It was nice, but not as helpful as I wanted it to be. So I finally woke up because I needed to get AJ and I packed for going to Orlando, or at least as packed as I could get us since I can't pack his computer gear. So I got up just about the time he was getting home. I decided that I wanted to take banana bread with us on our trip and since we weren't leaving for a couple of hours it would be fine to make it. So I get out the supplies to make a loaf and some muffins (chocolate powder added to these). So I get it put together and even add some of the chocolate mix to the regular one to make the loaf all spiffy and swirly. I put it in the oven and start to make the mix for waffles since that is what we were having for dinner. I get the mix made and the iron hot... then BAM!!!! No power! What.... ack!!!! The banana bread had been in the oven for about 10 minutes. Well I leave it in there hoping the power will come back on or it will have enough heat to cook through. No such luck. The muffins cook (in 2 hours), but the loaf was still all gummy and slightly liquidy. Well, the power finally came back on, but we were really hungry and cranky so I threw the semi-cooked loaf into the fridge to wait until we get back on Sunday. I also pack some of the mostly cooked muffins. They were yummy in their gummy state.

So since we couldn't make waffles we went to IHOP. They have a fun promotion going on right now for "Horton Hears A Who". It is a fun meal. They have Sprite with colored Jello in it to make a Beezlenut Splash. Very fun! AJ really likes them, me... not so much. I just don't like chunkies in my drinks. But I will keep it in mind for when we have kids and they want something fun.

So we head to Orlando.

Saturday, AJ packs up to go to his LAN party and I head out shopping with his dad. We went lots of places and didn't buy anything... only because we had no cash at the cash only place, and the store we went to didn't have what we wanted. Oh well. So afterwards I pack up and try to head to the parks before the storm breaks. NO LUCK!

I get to that side of town and the heavens open up! So I get a magazine at WalMart and wait until it passes. And wait, and wait, and wait. Finally I give in and head to do shopping. YAY no rain. So I head to SeaWorld. I get there, blue skies. I walk in, light drips. I get to the stingrays, torrential downpour.


video


Well, this went on for about 45 minutes. The bad part was I had to go potty... which was right across the walk way. I held out until it at least lightened up some. I did get some fun pictures and video though. Mainly of the storm and the stingrays. The stingrays are really cool, and you can feed them. It feels like a vacuum cleaner on the back of your hand.

So I finally gave up and head out. I only got my feet soaked (YAY Harry Potter umbrella). Then I headed to Downtown Disney. Eh. It was to wet to be fun. So I left. I got lost. for 2.5 hours. At least I found the back parking lot for Magic Kingdom cast members. Getting lost got me really unnerved. It has been a while since that happened, and I was ready to go home. But I had promised I would go say hi to AJ a the lan party. I got lost again. I found him, and then went home. And went to bed.

Sunday we got up and came back to Gainesville and I worked all day. Afterwards I did our grocery shopping for the perishable and sale stuff at Publix. Side note: After coupons and sales I spent $29.67 on groceries. YAY ME!!!

So I finally get home and put our poor poor banana bread back into the oven. It cooked and cooked and cooked. It never cooked all the way through. It is still kinda gummy, but yummy enough to eat. I wish I had taken pictures of it before I started cutting on it. It shrunk up and looks more like a brick than a loaf of bread. Hmmm... note to self... don't let the power go off while baking banana bread.

No comments: