Friday, February 16, 2007

Mimsy were the Borogroves.

The Jabberwocky

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
'Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!'
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought--
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
'And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Lewis Carrol wrote this poem in his story Alice In Wonderland. It was cool there, but when it is used in science fiction it is even cooler. Mimsy were the Borogroves is a short story that made me go wow!

Background stolen from other places so I don't have to explain it:
  • "In 1943, Henry Kuttner, writing as Lewis Padgett, published a science fiction short story called Mimsy were the Borogoves in the magazine Astounding, which has since been republished in several anthologies. It posits that the poem is actually a communication with hidden meaning from the future." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky
  • "The title of the story, of course, is taken from Lewis Carroll's "Jaberwocky". According to this story, it was actually written by Alice herself and is not just a poem but a mathematical formula with which one can travel to bizarre alternate realities. How does she know this? Well, of course, Alice discovered one of the boxes of toys from the future!" http://math.cofc.edu/kasman/MATHFICT/mfview.php?callnumber=mf300


I guess the best reason I can think of for naming my blog this is the second point, "a formula to travel to bizarre alternate realities." I guess anyone who knows me and knows the way I think doesn't really need a better explanation than that. My thought patterns are normally erratic and often odd. I am perfectly ok with that, considering the alternative at this point would to be insane and though I might joke about that I honestly don't think I am much crazier than the next person.

I am tired of having my blog on myspace... I don't always want stuff posted there, and I am tired of having people whine at me when I decide to lock down one of my blogs. Not everything needs to be seen by everyone. I guess I will see how well this works and how happy it makes me to have my thoughts floating around. I want some people to be able to see them, but I still want my privacy and safety.

1 comment:

usacomp2k3 said...

I thought that's where it was from :-)